I snuck away from Sundance Cabin Rentals the other day and went to Helton Creek Falls with Randy Gray with Broadcast Pro Photo. It had just stopped raining a day before, and we wanted to see how big the flow was. We weren’t disappointed.
I had recently purchased a new zoom lens for my camera, so I was trying it out for the first time.
In the summer, people venture into this area and play in the water and go under the falls. We personally haven’t tried this, we’re content to just crawl around the rocks. It may be safe when the water flow is low, I’m not sure.
If you are planning on staying in a Blue Ridge cabin rental, you should plan to visit Helton Creek Falls. It is a very short hike from the parking area to this double waterfall.
BE AWARE! The last 3 miles to the waterfall is on a 1-lane forest road. Be alert to vehicles coming the other way, especially on the curves!
Directions to Helton Creek Falls from Blue Ridge:
- Go East on SR 515/76 to Blairsville
- At the 1st light (McDonalds & Burger King) turn right and go 0.1 miles to 4-way stop
- Turn left on Old Hwy 76 and go to the traffic circle in downtown
- Bear right onto Hwy 129 south.
- Stay on 129 past Vogel State Park
- 1 mile past the State Park entrance, turn left on Helton Creek Rd.
- Go 3 miles to the parking area